Are you in the right job for you or are you doing time?
Find out in 2 minutes
Look around you! Only 1 person in the room likes going to their job. Is it you? It could be…
Gallup- the leading authority on employee engagement, reports that 87% of the people worldwide feel disengaged in their job and are sleepwalking every day. Most of them are unsatisfied, bored, stuck or unfulfilled. That leaves us with only 13% of the people that are doing a job that they love.
I find it outrageous and we all need to become aware! A constant state of unhappiness and unfulfillment raises the numbers in cases of depression, low immune system, burn out and obesity.
I love the 7 habits of effective people by Stephen Covey, if you haven't read yet, it is a must read and one of my favorite books. The second habit that Stephen is talking about is: " Begin with the end in mind! How do you want to be remembered? "
In my work as an HR Professional in Learning and Development and Gallup Certified Coach, I came across to these 5 key questions that you can ask yourself to find out if you are part of the 13% or part of the 87%!
For each of the below questions, answer with YES or NO.
Rate 1 point for YES
Rate 0 points for NO.
Rate it 0.5 points if your answer is sometimes YES, sometimes NO,
1. Do you feel anxious or indifferent about going to work tomorrow?
2. Do you feel like you can’t wait for the day to end and to leave your office?
3. Do you feel drained of energy at the end of day and when you do spend time with your friends and family, you are not actually “there”?
4. Is it difficult to imagine doing the job you are in, in 5 years’ time?
5. Looking back at the present in 10 years’ time, would you have regrets and the feeling that you could have achieved so much more?
If you accumulated under 2 points, maybe you want to look at improving things in your current job. Here are a few tips for you.
If you accumulated more than 2 points, maybe it’s time for you to make a change and be the next happy person in the room that loves their job.
Don’t waste your life, act now and please help others around you to become aware of their situation, I truly believe that we can shift this percentage and have more happy people around us.
Author: Claudia Raine, Career Development Coach